Coronavirus Information

Coronavirus (Covid-19) IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Vaccine Passports

From the Government Website;  

Countries will decide whether they require proof of COVID vaccination for entry, and it is the traveller’s responsibility to check individual requirements.


If needed, people in England who have both vaccine doses will be able to demonstrate their COVID vaccination status via the NHS app from 17 May.


(NB Patients should sign up to this themselves by downloading the APP)


Those without access to the app can request a letter from the NHS proving their vaccination status by calling 119, from 17 May. Test results will not be stated in the app and the process for booking and presenting test results for travel remains unchanged. The government is working with the devolved administrations to ensure this facility is available to everyone across the UK.

Please wear face covering when visiting practice

Wearing a face covering helps to reduce the spread of coronavirus from anyone who is infected but is pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic, meaning they aren't yet showing any symptoms. This face covering could be a scarf, bandana or homemade mask (see below for ideas on how to make your own.)

Why not make your own mask?

Click Here for Instructions

Covid-19 – The compulsory wearing of a face covering in shops/public transport

General practice is under considerable pressure as a direct result of the current challenges they are faced with delivering a service to patients at the same time as coping with the consequences of this virus. 


There is no requirement for general practice to issue letters for patients who are unable to wear face coverings, as the Government have clearly defined the exemptions to this requirement.


You are able to print your own exemption cards if you so wish and these can be accessed via the following link:

If you have been instructed to self-isolate

The practice is not unfortunately able to issue fit/sick notes or write letters of support to employers.

You can get an Isolation Note by visiting: 

Any problems with your employer you should direct then to the ACAS website; which states:

The employer might need to be flexible if they require evidence from the employee or worker. For example, someone might not be able to provide a sick note ('fit note') if they've been told to self-isolate for more than 7 days.

Similarly if you have an upcoming operation and have been asked to isolate for two weeks before it, the practice cannot issue you a sick certificate. You should discuss with your employer whether you can work from home, take holiday or unpaid leave for this period.

Notes / Letters for School

We have had a number of parents making contacting and asking for the GP to provide notes, letters or guidance for their children on whether they should or should not be returning to school. 

A letter explaining why we are unable to do this is available from the Wessex Local Medical Committee and be accessed as below.

Guidance regarding School 

If you are considering cancelling or have cancelled a holiday

The practice is unfortunately not able to write letters of support to travel insurance companies.

Mental Health During Covid

Connections - 0300 123 5440 can help in the first instance if you are struggling to cope or feel you are nearing a breakdown please call 24/7. This service can signpost you to the right support.

Shout - Text Shout to 85258 (free 24/7) if you are experiencing:

suicidal thoughts,

abuse or assault,



relationship challenges.

Calm - 0800 58 58 58 or visit Open 5pm to Midnight, 365 days of the year. A helpline for people in the UK who are down or have hit a wall for any reason, who need to talk or find information and support.

Papyrus - 0800 068 4141, 07860 039967 -


Confidential support and advice to young people under the age of 35 struggling with thoughts of suicide and anyone worried about a young person.

BCP Council COVID-19 community response helpline 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week for those in vital need of food or essential household items 0300 1237052


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website